Saturday, April 7, 2012

D is for Desmond Howard

It is Desmond Howard's fault that I am a huge Michigan fan. Yes, I had been watching the annual rivalry game between Michigan and Ohio State every year since I started elementary school. When you grow up in Toledo, Ohio, it is like a religious event akin to Christmas to participate. I followed my family's Michigan roots, plus I preferred wearing their colors over the ugly scarlet and gray. But I really didn't pay too much attention to what was going on.

And then there came that infamous year with Desmond Howard. In that infamous game in 1991, he returned a punt for 93 yards, extending the Wolverines' lead 24-3. I just remember sitting, watching the game, when he caught the ball. He took off running. As he kept moving, I stood up. He kept going and I started yelling. He went all the way, made the infamous Heisman pose, and I started jumping up and down.



My mother came in to find out what the hell was going on. After all, I was screaming and yelling. We lived in an apartment at the end of our store. I think I was disturbing some customers. When I explained to her that history had been made, she was happy, but still told me to hold it down. So, I inwardly yelled.

And thus, a monster was made. Now, I scream and yell and carry on all I want. As long as I am home alone....

4 comments:

  1. Nice post ... and take that from a long-time Wildcat.

    Purple isn't just for Yahoo. ;-)

    (BTW - CAPTCHA coding is activated on this blog. Lots of A to Z bloggers have shut it off for the month to encourage comments.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up that it was still on! I purposely went through and made sure they were all deactivated, but this one must not have sticked. Hope it is off now!

      Delete
  2. Ordinarily any of those celebratory antics in the end zone really turn me off, but I gotta admit that I kinda liked Howard's Heisman pose after scoring. That was pretty clever and it made me chuckle.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back then, though, there wasn't nearly as much of it!

      Delete