Wednesday, April 4, 2012

C is for Conference

The Big Ten Conference is the only one that I really know. When I was growing up, I didn't realize that there were any other conferences. In fact, I don't think I realized that Michigan could even play any other teams.

I didn't watch a lot of the games while I was growing up. Honestly, we pretty much focused on watching the Michigan State and Ohio State games. My cousins attended Michigan State and of course the Ohio State game was the big one. All I ever heard was "Big Ten."

Even as a kid, I understood that the Big Ten was something special. It is more than just great sports and great rivalries. (The Michigan-Ohio State rivalry is arguably the biggest one in college sports.) All of the schools also have stellar academics. Their research facilities are well-known around the world. I can't tell you how many times I come across a study or educational information and find it came from a Big Ten school.

I always had dreams of attending a Big Ten school, specifically Michigan. Unfortunately, I had mono three times in my later high school years, so I was delayed in taking the SAT and ACT. I missed the PSAT (which based on my SAT score would have given me a free ride) because I was in France as an exchange student. Finances were not such that I could afford an out-of-state school.

Nevertheless, I still feel a sense of pride whenever the Big Ten is involved in something. Even though I despise Ohio State, I had a bit of excitement that a Big Ten school made it to the Final Four this year in basketball. At the same time, I was annoyed that it was OSU. And it was hard for me to accept them beating Syracuse. After all, I now live in Orange Country.

I still keep up with my beloved Wolverines, thanks to the wonders of the Big Ten Network. I was so grateful when it finally became available in my area a couple of years ago. Now, I never again have to miss games because they are not on national television, such as ESPN. I can even watch games on my computer. The app should soon be available for the Droid (if it isn't already - I have to check into that). I can stay connected wherever I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment